Monday 28 May 2012

The First Website You Ever Visited

We took an office poll of the first websites Buzzfeeders ever visited — from Geocities to multi-user online dungeons. What's the first website you ever visited?

Donna Dickens

The first time I remember using the Internet was the summer of 1996. I'd just turned 13 and my parents had sent me to spend two months split between my brothers (who were both in late 20s). Neither knew what to do with a teen girl, so voila! The set me up with an AOL account and I can remember listening to the modem connect and watching the logo show me the connection speed of 28k (SO FAST OMG). They introduced me to MUDs [multi-user dungeons] on AOL, which led to Yahoo! Chat, which led to me staying up until 3am every night for the next month tentatively learning the ropes of online RPGs. There was also a lot of Elfwood and Geocities quote lists.

Good times, good times.

Cates Holderness

I spent a lot of time on Sailor Moon related Geocities websites. Yeah, that's right.


View Entire List ›

Source: http://www.buzzfeed.com/tommywilhelm/the-first-website-you-ever-visited

Helen Wong Russell Wong

No comments:

Post a Comment